An Upper School student’s Darlington career begins and ends in Morris Chapel. Each school year kicks off with an opening assembly held here, and every senior’s journey concludes with a Commencement ceremony held on the adjacent Chapel Lawn. Morris Chapel is used for weekly Upper School chapel services and assemblies as well as special events and performances for the entire school community.
The chapel’s construction was championed by Andrew Cooper, the son of Darlington founders John Paul and Alice Allgood Cooper, with the help of former school presidents C.R. Wilcox and E.L. Wright. Boys from the classes of 1956 and 1957 contributed one brick each, while friends and alumni of the school provided pews, stained glass windows, and a pipe organ. Morris Chapel was dedicated in 2001 in honor of the family of William S. Morris (’52).